Latest Forum Posts

Page 1 of Tax query

General Forum

Tax query

Juls (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 23rd September 2008, 15:23

If I have 2 part time jobs what happens about my tax code?

Do I end up paying the higher rate on one as its a `second job` or will I be ok as both jobs will still only equal around what I earn now?

Juls

RE: Tax query

"V" (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 23rd September 2008, 16:00

I`m no expert, but I`d say that your tax allowance is just that, regardless of how many jobs you have.
Live a life you love, use a god you trust, and don`t take it all too seriously

badboybez (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 23rd September 2008, 16:49

Would have thought you`d get hit at base rate tax code for the second job :(

sj (Elite) posted this on Tuesday, 23rd September 2008, 17:36

Basically, because you won`t have a P45 you will be given a form at the new place (a P46) where you declare that it isn`t your only or main job. You will then be given a BR code for that job and will simply pay 20% on all of it - your allowances are on the other job. If you don`t use all of your personal allowances from the other job you can speak to your Tax Office and have some allowances transferred across..

Ste

We will pay the price but we will not count the cost..

The HMDR Alcohol Machine (Competent) posted this on Tuesday, 23rd September 2008, 20:23

When I had a second job... tax was at basic rate....

Plus as its the Tax office they will f*ck it up by default....

This item was edited on Tuesday, 23rd September 2008, 21:25

Stu UK (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 24th September 2008, 01:09

If both are within the NHS and within the same trust they should eventually sort it out as you will be with the same tax office, I remember a similar situation but it took lots of calls and letters to get it sorted out. Turned into a huge hassle and she used to get assessed every couple of years which was a pain :(

mmm chocolate

Fowler9 (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 24th September 2008, 12:42

I thnk SJ`s post about gets you the answer you need

(The only thing to add would be that if your 2 jobs took you into the higher rate earnings band then you`d get taxed at 40% not 20% on a proportion of your earnings)

YNWA
A.C.C

This item was edited on Wednesday, 24th September 2008, 13:52

Juls (Elite) posted this on Wednesday, 24th September 2008, 17:26

Thanks for the replies - the 2 jobs together wont take me anywhere near the higher rate earnings so Im ok there but 20% tax on one I could do without. Guess Ill stay where I am for the time :/

Juls

Fowler9 (Elite) posted this on Thursday, 25th September 2008, 12:41

Quote:
so Im ok there but 20% tax on one I could do without. Guess Ill stay where I am for the time

Errrr no matter what you`ll still have to pay the 20% tax on the same amount of earnings no matter where you work or whether its split over two (or more) jobs.

(well unless you start managing to find some off the books cash paid no questions asked jobs)

YNWA
A.C.C

Mister Smee (Elite) posted this on Thursday, 25th September 2008, 13:23

Talking of tax, for several reasons (lazy toad, my status hadn`t changed, got the minimum payment anyway) I neglected to renew my child tax credits when I got the form so now I`ve received a demand to pay all last year`s credits back.
So I gave them a ring and said, ok I hold my hands up, I didn`t renew but nothing has changed and I only receive the minimum amount possible anyway. Ok they say, you`ll have to redo the whole form to start claiming again, ok says I pop it in the post and I`ll do it.
By the way does this mean you won`t send me any more letters demanding repayment? Oh no you still have to pay back all last year`s money as it is an overpayment. But it isn`t an overpayment argues I, it`s the correct payment. That doesn`t matter says Mr TaxGrunt it is an overpayment as far as we are concerned.
Had a 5 minute rant at them but I`ll still have to repay it.

So be warned people, if you don`t renew you`ll have to give it back!

>:( :/ :(
---

I miss the honky tonks, the Dairy Queens and Seven Elevens...

Go back to General Forum threads, or All Forum threads